Hiking the Overlook is great at any time of year, but winter can be particularly rewarding, especially this year! When other parts of the country are muffled in deep snow and freezing temperatures, the Sonoma County trekker can take to the trails in relative comfort and ease. This year, after the fires, the green grass blanketing the ground gives us all a great breath of hope and renewal. Wintertime hiking is a joy and offers some unique benefits:
- You’ll see less people and more wildlife
- Mosquitos and other bugs are nowhere to be found
- Rattlesnakes are still hibernating
- Less people=less noise. Enjoy the quiet peacefulness
- Hot food and warm drinks taste even better after a cold weather hike
- Hike the trail on a sunny winter day and you will instantly feel the happy effects of endorphins as they kick in!
If you haven’t been up the trail lately, now is the perfect time to shake off those solstice doldrums and take advantage of our Northern California winter. You’ll be glad you did!